Vu Thi Que, a co-founder of Rajah & Tann LCT Lawyers, is the Partner in charge of the firm’s Corporate Regulatory, Mergers & Acquisitions, Projects & Infrastructure, and Real Estate & Construction practice groups.
Que has more than 16 years of experience in legal practice and is highly evaluated by clients for “fast response, have good business acumen and industry knowledge”. Being fluent in both English and Chinese (Mandarin), Que advises various English-speaking and Chinese-speaking clients, as well as other multinational clients, on a wide range of legal and compliance issues.
In M&A transactions, Que has successfully led her team in closing a significant number of deals spanning a broad spectrum of industries. From due diligence to transaction documentation, the Corporate and M&A practice group under Que’s lead has been regarded for its responsiveness and local expertise.
In addition, Que has been involved in advisory and negotiations for the development of some of Vietnam’s largest real estate and infrastructure projects. Her experience covers developments of entire new townships, commercial and residential high-rise towers, highways and other infrastructure projects of national significance.
Que has been approached and is regarded by investors, from promising start-ups to Fortune 500 companies, for her assistance in greenfield and brownfield projects. These span a broad spectrum of industries and she has been behind the setup of many successful corporations in Vietnam.
Prior to managing Rajah & Tann LCT Lawyers, Que was the Head of Legal Affairs & Corporate Compliance for Bayer Vietnam. In this position, she provided practical guidance and solutions for various legal and corporate compliance issues relating to the core businesses of the company, including consumer care, healthcare, veterinary care, agribusiness and materials science. During her term at Bayer, she was also a Member of the Corporate Business Services Management Team.
- Advised a leading Taiwanese state-owned enterprise on the setup of a US$65+ million lubricant oil manufacturing plant with a specialised port.
Advised a Chinese state-owned enterprise in its cooperation with Vietnam Electricity (EVN) for the development of the US$1.5+ billion Duyen Hai 3 Thermal Power Plant.
- Advised a leading Taiwanese construction group in a build-transfer contract for the construction of the US$260+ million junction line between Halong City and Bach Dang Bridge.
- Advised Janakuasa Pte Ltd in the investment and operation matters of its subsidiary in Vietnam in the field of wind power energy.
- Assisted a leading Taiwanese conglomerate on its set-up and structuring of its US$250 million manufacturing facility in southern Vietnam.
- Assisted a Japanese sogo shosha on the incorporation of a general trading company to distribute several hundred HS codes, one of the first of its kind in Vietnam.
- Advised a prominent Southeast Asian broadcaster on its market entry and cooperation with a Vietnamese entrepreneur to deliver VOD in Vietnam, to be among the first foreign-owned VOD providers in Vietnam.
- Assisted a Japanese investor in acquiring a more than 20% equity stake in a Vietnamese listed logistics company, one of the few successful acquisitions in this restricted line of business.
- Assisted a major American educational organisation on its internal restructuring and acquisition plans to bolster its presence in southern Vietnam.
- Advised a leading Korean conglomerate on deal structuring and assisted in drafting all transaction documentation for a takeover of a major Vietnamese manufacturer.
- Assisted a Japanese investor in a share transfer among a group of Singaporean companies in the construction industry.
- Assisted a Malaysian investor in its acquisition of gaming and casino rights in a five-star hotel in Vietnam.
- Advised a Hong Kong company on structuring for its acquisition of a Vietnamese healthcare product manufacturing company.
- Advised a Vietnamese tobacco company in its restructuring and proposed equity sale of over US$200 million.
- Advised a Singapore healthcare group on implementing its US$65+ million hospital project from inception to opening.
- Advised a major Dutch animal nutrition and fish feed manufacturer on their equity takeover of its Vietnamese subsidiary.
- Advised a leading global testing, inspection and certification company on their equity takeover of their Vietnamese subsidiary.
- Advised a leading Chinese cement manufacturer in its US$250+ million takeover of one of Vietnam’s largest cement companies.
Banking & Finance
- Advised Novelis Inc. on Vietnamese law matters for its subsidiary’s entrance into a US$1+ billion revolving credit agreement.
- Advised multiple Chinese and Taiwanese financial institutions in their corporate regulatory and general commercial matters.
- Advised a Taiwanese bank on the drafting of its multimillion dollar facility agreements.
- Assisted a leading Taiwanese construction company in the drafting of a VND 300+ billion loan agreement with Quang Ninh Province for land clearance and mine and bomb disarmament, as part of a nationally significant infrastructure project.
- Advised Lombard Asia III L.P. in drafting the amendments and registration with SBV of an offshore loan with a Vietnamese company.
- Advised a leading Japanese credit institution on setting up its presence in Vietnam, as well as advised on the structuring of its credit card issuance programs with leading Vietnamese financial institutions.
- Acted as Vietnamese counsel to Hong Leong Group in its acquisition (with TPG) of Columbia Asia Hospitals.
Construction & Real Estate
- Advised the Paujar Group, a Taiwanese conglomerate, on its development of the Docklands residential project in District 7 and their Flemington condominium project District 11, Ho Chi Minh City.
- Advised a leading Singaporean real estate developer on its development (and subsequent sales and leasing arrangements) of its shopping complex and commercial real estate developments across southern Vietnam.
- Advised a leading Japanese real estate company in its joint venture with Becamex Binh Duong for its development of a condominium project in Binh Duong Province.
- Advised a leading Singaporean real estate developer on its numerous investment projects in central Ho Chi Minh City.
- Advised the Nam Long Group on matters of structuring and development for its residential projects in Ho Chi Minh City via a joint venture with two Japanese conglomerates.
- Advised a Chinese real estate developer on its planned multibillion dollar project development in Vietnam, including the exploration of PPP models.
- Advised a Hong Kong property developer on its planned joint venture with one of Vietnam’s largest property groups for the development of a mixed-used development in HCMC.
- Advised a Hong Kong property developer on its restructuring and multiple compliance matters pertaining to its residential development in District 2, including spearheading one of Vietnam’s first property splits by a foreign-invested company under the latest Law on Land.
- Advised Malaysian company on financing and registration and amendments of the offshore loans for 2 Thermal Electric Power Project in Tra Vin province, Vietnam
- Visiting Lecturer of Dong A Law School, Dong A University, South Korea
- Visiting Lecturer of Taiwan Academy of Banking & Finance
- Co-Founder, Vietnam International Commercial Mediation Center (VICMC) – Vice President
- Member of International Bar Association
- Member, Law Asia
- Member, Vietnam Bar Federation
- Member, Ho Chi Minh City Bar Association
- Member, China Business Association Ho Chi Minh City Branch
- Member, Japanese Business Association Ho Chi Minh City Branch
- Member, Taiwanese Chambers of Commerce Ho Chi Minh City Branch
- Member, Singapore Chambers of Commerce Ho Chi Minh City Branch
- “Local practice rules the Law”, Tsinghua Law Journal (Beijing, China), Nov 2003 (published in Chinese).
- “Practical Implementation Encumbrances of the Law on Investment and Law on Enterprises in Vietnam” - DongA Journal of International Business Transactions Law (Busan, South Korea) Volume 8/December 2012 (published in English).
- “Digging deeper in Mining M&A”, Vietnam Investment Review (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam), August 26 – Sep 1, 2013 (published in English).
- “M&A Opportunities in Mining Sectors for Foreign Investors”, M&A 2013 Journal (Hanoi, Vietnam), July 2013 (published in Vietnamese).
- “Vietnam – Merger Control”, Global Legal Insight 2014 (published in English).
- “Pitfall on new landlord every investor should avoid”, Vietnam Investment Review (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam), August 11-17, 2014 (published in English).
- “M&A deal: Notes on Competition law”, Saigon Times (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam), December 18-2014 (publish in Vietnamese).
- “New M&A growth blocked by lack of legal clarification”, Vietnam Investment Review (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam), August 3-9, 2015 (published in English).
- “Change to Real Estate Law begets challenges”, Vietnam Investment Review (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam), August 3-9, 2015 (published in English).
- Top 100 Business Leader 2017, Selected by Vietnam Chambers of Commerce (VCCI) - Ho Chi Minh City Branch
- Market Leading Lawyer for Construction & Real Estate/Corporate M&A/Banking & Finance, Asialaw Leading Lawyers (2017-2018) (https://bit.ly/2NKgv5m)
- Leading Lawyer for Energy and Infrastructure Work, IFLR 1000 (2015-2018) (https://bit.ly/2Xvy7BK)
- Recommended Lawyer and Leading Individual for Banking and Finance/ Corporate and M&A/ Projects and Energy/ Labor and Employment/ Real Estate and Construction/TMT/Tax,The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2014-2018) (https://bit.ly/2XQx1Vd)
- Leading Lawyer in Corporate/M&A, Chambers Global (2019, 2020)