With over 20 years of experience in legal practice, including several years as legal counsel to leading international corporations, such as Perfetti Van Melle Corp and Sony Corporation, and the Copyright Office of Vietnam, Dr. Chau Huy Quang is recognised by the legal community as one of the most capable litigators. He is also a recognised arbitrator and mediator in both Vietnam and the broader region.
Dr. Quang has consistently been recognised as a leading Dispute Resolution lawyer by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific and Chambers & Partners, and is known to clients as a lawyer who “resolves a variety of challenging legal matters in Vietnam to get things done; he is also excellent at negotiating legal proceedings and out-of-court settlements.” Most recently, Dr. Quang was also named Regional Managing Partner of the Year at the Asian Legal Business SE Asia Law Awards 2018.
Dr. Quang’s dedication to Rajah & Tann LCT Lawyers' Dispute Resolution Practice Group has resulted in the team becoming one of the most prolific and knowledgeable in Vietnam, garnering a strong track-record of success. From 2010 to date, the firm’s Dispute Resolution practice has been recognised by Chambers Global, Chambers Asia-Pacific, The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, Asialaw Profiles, and Asian Legal Business as a leader in Vietnam. Under Dr Quang's leadership, the practice has successfully represented clients and advised on a variety of local and international disputes spanning all major areas.
Dr. Quang’s experience covers foreign investment, commercial transactions, employment, investment arbitration, maritime and construction for both dispute settlement and transaction work. From complex construction disputes to arbitrations over projects of national significance, Dr. Quang has been highly regarded by clients for his advocacy and strategic advice, being able to untangle complex and sensitive disputes involving the State authorities. He has successfully litigated for and against governments and government-linked entities.
Dr. Quang is also a well-known lecturer at the Judicial Academy of the Ministry of Justice of Vietnam and is a respected arbitrator of the Vietnam International Arbitration Centre (VIAC).
He has been frequently called upon by the press and leading publications for his commentary on Vietnamese law, and has authored multiple articles in both foreign and domestic newspapers and magazines. He is a regularly presenter on topical issues for national and international forums, discussions and panels.
He is a visiting professor for both domestic and foreign law schools, including the law school of Dong A Law School (Busan) and Kobe University (Japan).
International Trade and Commerce
- Acted for a Vietnamese commodities trader in an ICC arbitration against a Siberian company in respect of a contractual dispute regarding the sale of activated carbon (Paris seat).
- Acted for a Singaporean engineering company in an ICC arbitration against a Vietnamese state owned enterprise in respect of the construction of fuelling facilities in Tan Son Nhat Airport.
- Acted for a Singaporean company in the recovery of a loan against a Vietnamese company arising from a joint venture contract.
- Acted for a Vietnamese company in a multimillion dollar construction litigation at the People’s Court of Ho Chi Minh City, including the first hearing and appellate phases of the dispute.
- Acted for a Canadian company in a VIAC arbitration against a Vietnamese company in respect of a contractual dispute.
- Advised a Chinese company on contractual claims against an investor for outstanding payment of approximately US$7 million.
- Acted for a Spanish commodities trader in a VIAC arbitration against a Vietnamese company in respect of a dispute regarding the sale and purchase of pepper.
Real Estate and Infrastructure
- Acted for a Hong Kong developer on multiple major real estate disputes in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Acted for a Vietnamese company in a VIAC arbitration with a claim value of over US$7 million concerning the payment investment capital for a building complex.
- Acted for a US architectural manufacturing company in a dispute with distributors in Vietnam.
- Acted for a Vietnamese company in a litigation at a Vietnamese court for unpaid rent arrears.
- Advised a South Korean company in multiple lease disputes with its tenants in Vietnam.
- Acted for a Vietnamese company in a litigation at the People’s Court of District 1, Ho Chi Minh City in respect of a dispute over the largest electrical facility in Ba Ria-Vung Tau Province, Vietnam.
Energy and Resources
- Advised a German manufacturing company in resolving multiple disputes arising out of a power production project.
- Advised a Vietnamese contractor on claims against a subcontractor regarding delays in constructing a gas pipeline in Vung Tau Province, Vietnam.
- Acted for a Vietnamese oil company in a VIAC arbitration against a British Virgin Islands company in respect of the sale and purchaseof a US$6+ million FPSO vessel.
- Member, International Bar Association
- Member, Vietnam Bar Federation
- Member, Management Board of the Ho Chi Minh City Bar Association
- Member, Law Association for Asia and the Pacific
- Jurist, Vietnam Jurist Association
- Lecturer, Judicial Academy of Ministry of Justice of Vietnam
- Arbitrator, Vietnam International Arbitration Centre
- Mediator of Vietnam Mediation Centre
- Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb)
- Accredited Mediator of CEDR/IFC
- The Yukos Claim And The Russian Federation: Lessons Learned In Getting The Balance Right Between Public Rights And Private Interest, 2017
- Huyen Nhu – VietinBank and the Test to Secure Private Interests, 2018
- To Sign or not to Sign? A Conundrum of Vietnam’s Accession to the ICSID, 2019
- “Corruption”, Thoi Bao Kinh Te Sai Gon, (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, January 2014, published in Vietnamese.
- “Domain name dispute settlement”, The Saigon Times Weekly, January 2014, published in English.
- “How to identify an enterprise having its escaping owner”, www.thesaigontimes.vn, February, 2014, published in Vietnamese.
- “Preventing repudiation on the obligations of Contract”, http://www.phununet.com, July 2012, published in Vietnamese.
- “Increase the Charter Capital in Joint Stock Company: more guidance yet enterprises suffer still”, http://dddn.com.vn, March 2011, published in Vietnamese.
- “Personal income tax on the securities transfer: entangled still”, http://dddn.com.vn, December 2010, published in Vietnamese.