Brian in a Singapore-qualified lawyer and has been with Rajah & Tann’s corporate and commercial practice group since 2006. He is currently based in Ho Chi Minh City and represents international clients on cross border transactions involving Singapore and the jurisdictions in Indochina and the greater Mekong.
Brian’s core areas of practice are in private mergers and acquisitions and banking and finance. He specializes in cross-border transactions including shares and assets acquisitions and disposals, corporate restructurings, joint ventures and partnerships as well as syndicated credit facilities with security in various jurisdictions. In addition to the above, Brian also regularly advises on general corporate and commercial matters, employment-related issues.
Brian has been included in the 2014 edition of Best Lawyers International as a “Best Lawyer in Singapore” for Corporate Law.
- Advised Panasonic on the acquisition of a business line from Cookson Electronics, transaction size between S$10 million to S$20 million.
- Advised liquidators of Zhonghui Limited (SGX listed) on a reverse takeover pursuant to scheme of arrangement between creditors (listing manual very substantial transaction).
- Assisted Standard Chartered Bank in several transactions dealing with disposal of distressed assets.
- Advised Westech Electronic Limited (SGX listed) on reverse takeover of Plexus Components Pte Ltd (listing manual very substantial transaction).
- Advised Stepan Company on the acquisition of assets and businesses from Cremer Oleo, Nexsol Singapore – transaction size between S$10 to S$15 million. Also advised Stepan Company on the acquisition of assets from Oiltanking Singapore S$10 million.
- Advised Fortis Healthcare Group on its setting-up of a presence in Vietnam in connection with the US$64 million acquisition by Fortis of 65% of the Hoan My Hospital Group in 2011.
- Advised Fortis Healthcare Group on its disposal of its entire stake in Fortis Hoan My Hospital Group for US$80 million to Chandler Corporation in one of the largest private M&As in Vietnam in 2013.
- Advised Anhui Conch Cement Company Limited in the US$250 million acquisition of one of the largest cement producers in Vietnam.
- Advised OJI Holding Corporation in a number of acquisitions of strategic interests in Vietnam manufacturing companies.
- Advised Vinacapital funds on a number of investments and divestments, as well as financing matters.
- Advised Ho Chi Minh City Infrastructure Investment Joint Stock Company (State-Owned Enterprise) on the disposal of one its operating subsidiaries (Thu Duc Water BOO Corp) to Manila Water (listed on the Philippines Stock Exchange). Transaction value around US$40 million.
- Advised Hoang Anh Gia Lai, one of the largest HOSE listed companies, on 2 project financing transactions involving credit facilities granted by BIDV and issuance of bonds in Vietnam, secured by assets in Lao (PDR).
- Advised Chandler Corporation on a US$50-US$70million convertible bond subscription into Masan Group Corporation (HOSE-listed, acquired by KKR in 2011). Advised on second round of subscription in April 2012.
- Advised UOB in the grant of 2 term loan facilities to Keppel Land in Vietnam. Total commitment value of both facilities around US$70 million.
- Advised Standard Chartered Bank on the grant of a trade finance facility (term and revolving) granted to a Vietnamese borrower. Commitment value US$14million.
- Advised the Consulate-General of the Republic of Singapore (Vietnam office) on general compliance and regulatory issues.
- Advised a number of international clients and multinational groups on employment and human resource matters, including Marel, Towers Watson, Marks and Spencer, NetApp, Menarini and Wipro. Matters advised on include termination of employment, redundancy schemes, employment law compliance issues, secondments / placements of foreign expatriates, service and labour agreements and arrangements etc.
Memberships / Directorships
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore